Follow Graceful Endings
Please Note: Linda's blog has moved to her new website: LindaKavelinPopov.com
From now on, please visit her new website to enjoy all her upcoming blogs
Virtues are the Keys to SuccessJune 29, 2016
There is a secret to having not only a good life, or a good enough life, but a wonderful life. I have come to understand that the key to real happiness is living as if every day, every moment, each word and action, matters. The keys to success come from the same source - the Divine virtues with which we have been gifted by our Creator. Our love, kindness, generosity, purposefulness, determination, and service, among them.
Rabindranath Tagore, the Indian writer, poet, and artist says, "I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy."
I have a friend on this island who is known for his hard work and honesty. He is well spoken in his own Samoan language I'm sure, but isn't that proficient in English or Cook Islands Maori. Yet, he shines with a special light, and he is in great demand. He has had at least five offers of work, each offering to pay him more, since he closed an entrepreneurial business. Why is he in such demand?
- His Excellence. He gives 100% to whatever he does. He uses his strength, stamina and enthusiasm to go the extra mile.
- His Reliability. He shows up on time every time. He is sober, chooses not to drink. He does what is needed to get the job done well, to offer a true service.
- His Trustworthiness. As a man of faith, he can be trusted to do what he promises to do, and he would never dream of cheating or lying.
- His Assertiveness. Despite being sought after, he has turned down extra work in order to keep himself healthy and strong for his regular job. He has set clear boundaries about doing only what he can do, and is willing to do with excellence.
- He is whole-hearted. He puts his whole heart and enthusiasm into whatever he is doing, whether caring for his daughter or tending his pigs, attending church or following the teachings of his religion as best he can.
I honestly don't know how anyone can have true quality of life without an awareness and practice of the virtues, which are our way of fulfilling what the Bible and all other Holy Books tell us: Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness…" So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." (Genesis 1:26-27) Men and women are born to mirror the qualities of God - above all, to reflect His love. Investing our love into whatever we do brings true success and makes for a joyful life.
As Sufi poet Rumi said, "Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." What do you love?